To view this page ensure that Adobe Flash Player version 11.1.0 or greater is installed.

APPLICATION TIPS S TA F F A R T I C L E SHANDI MARTINEZ T LICENSE APPLICATION SERVICE MANAGER here is plenty going on in the world of License Applications this month. It seems that several states are overhauling their systems this year and making things a little more interesting for us. If any of their changes throw you and I don’t cover them in this article, you can always call us instead of the state fish and game offices. We’d be happy to help you through it. IDAHO Idaho is shaking things up a little this year as far as their application goes. In light of the data breech last year, they have added some security measures. Now you have to create a username and password in order to apply online. If you’ve applied in the past, you need a past license number in order to create your account. If you’ve never applied, you should be able to use your Social Security number or Driver’s License number to create an account, although I got a strange error when trying to use a Social Security number, but a Driver’s License number worked fine. Once you have created an account, make sure to write your username and password down and keep it somewhere as they currently have no way to look up either one online. If you call them, they will reset your password for you, but it’s quite an ordeal to recover your username. Maybe they’ll get that figured out after they get a few calls. You can also call for a past license number if you can’t find it, but that isn’t a quick phone call either, at least not in my experience. When applying online, Idaho has two separate steps to buy your license and apply for a tag, meaning you have to purchase your license, check out, then go to “Controlled Hunts,” enter your hunt codes and license number, and check out again. After buying a license, make sure you print it out or save it as you may need it to check your draw results. 8 You can apply on paper in Idaho for about $65 less since you don’t have to pay a transaction fee, and at this point, it might be easier. You can send the License Application form with the Controlled Hunt Application form together with one check and you don’t have to worry about a username and password. KANSAS Kansas is also following the trend of moving to an account with a username and password. However, they made it more user-friendly than most and will allow you to login with other information if you’ve applied before. Below the sign in information, click the link that says, “Sign in using your Identifier: Driver's License, SSN, KDWPT # or Other.” Once you’ve entered your number, it will take you to your account and you don’t have to worry about creating a username or password. What a concept! You can also view your points and application history from this page. If you’ve never applied, you’ll just create an account and go from there. The rest of the application process is pretty straightforward. MAINE The application process for Maine has stayed the same and is pretty simple. Unlike any other state we cover, Maine allows you to purchase as many extra chances as you want in addition to your bonus points. These chances don’t carry over from year to year, and there is no refund if you don’t draw. Maine also allows you to select a subpermittee when applying, or you can designate one up to 30 days before your hunt starts. Your subpermittee can hunt with you and either one of you can kill your moose. MONTANA Montana hasn’t implemented any new changes this year as far as the application process goes. The process is fairly simple for sheep, moose, goat, bison, and antelope. You will choose all of your species first, and then it will take you through each one to select your units. You will be asked for each species if you want to participate in the bonus point system for a $20 fee. I recommend getting points every year as Montana squares your points in the draw. There is not a point system for bison. You are required to purchase a $10 conservation license and a $15 base hunting license when you apply, but these will both be added to your cart automatically. NEVADA Nevada is finally offering a goat tag to non-residents again. If you have applied for goat in the past, you will still have your accumulated goat points going forward. There’s no word on when non-residents can apply for Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep again, but you’ll keep those points until they do. The biggest hang-up in Nevada is the hunter education requirement. Not only is it required for anyone born on or after January 1, 1960, but you have to submit an actual copy of it before you can apply. They will also accept a copy of a hunting license, but only if that license either has your hunter education number on it or it indicates that you provided proof of hunter education. I haven’t seen very many licenses that have this, but there are a few. Nevada requires that you buy a $142 non- refundable hunting license in order to build points. You will be given the option of purchasing a hunting license when applying or only if you are successful in the draw. Make sure you purchase it at the time of application or you will not get a point for any species. Aside from all the state deadlines, there are a few deadlines coming up for state raffles as well. Some of these are held through non-profit organizations and aren’t very easy to participate in, which often gives them better odds than the state draws. We can help you apply for these drawings even if you don’t use our service for the regular state draws. We only charge $10 per species for this service, regardless of how many tickets you purchase. Give us a call if you’re interested in signing up or you can find a sign-up form on the License Application portion of our website.