To view this page ensure that Adobe Flash Player version 11.1.0 or greater is installed.

APPLICATION TIPS S TA F F A R T I C L E SHANDI MARTINEZ T LICENSE APPLICATION SERVICE MANAGER his time of year goes by extremely fast for me as we are swimming in applications. Even if you only have to worry about applying for yourself and your family, the different rules and application systems can make it difficult, so I’m here again with more application tips to help you through the states covered in this issue. COLORADO Pink is the new orange in Colorado. Last fall, Colorado approved a bill that allows hunters to wear fluorescent pink instead of orange while hunting with a firearm. Last I heard, real men wear pink. Colorado has announced that this will be the last year for paper applications. This has got to be the best news I’ve heard in a long time. Since non-residents still have to use a paper application for sheep, moose, and goat for one more year, I’ll give you a few tips to help you out. I recommend buying your habitat stamp online, which you will anyway if you apply for deer, elk, or antelope. That way, you don’t have to worry about including it on your paper applications. Be really careful when filling out and sending in your paper applications as it is very easy to make a mistake and Colorado does not hesitate to reject your application. The application forms are species specific and must be mailed in a separate envelope with a separate check and mailed to a separate address with the exact amount of money. I’ve heard of someone getting rejected for sending a check with a 75 cent difference. 8 Hunter education is required to apply in Colorado for anyone born on or after January 1, 1949; however, this year, hunters age 50 or older and U.S. military personnel have a test- out option. To test out, you have to pay a $24.50 fee and take a 30-minute online test. You must pass with 90% HUNTIN’ FOOL’S AUSTIN ATKINSON WITH HIS COLORADO MULE DEER FROM 2016 or better, and you can only take it one time. Therefore, if you fail, you’ll have to take a hunter education course. Colorado is also offering an Apprentice Hunter Certificate. This is a free one- year waiver of the hunter education requirement and can only be obtained once. This is available to everyone old enough to apply, but if you hunt, you must be accompanied by a mentor who is 18 years old or older with proof of their age and hunter education with them in the field. KENTUCKY Kentucky has an easy application system, at least at first. Non-residents can apply for up to four hunts, including two antlered permits and two antlerless permits, one rifle and one archery for each. The cost is only $10 for each one you apply for, and you don’t even have to choose any units. If you are one of the lucky few to draw one of these tags, then the system gets a little more complicated. You will then have to go into another drawing to get a tag for a Limited-Entry Area, and you will want to contact an outfitter as soon as possible before they book up. For more information on this process, refer to the Kentucky state section in this issue. OREGON Oregon requires you to buy a license to apply, so if you’re going to apply for one species, you might as well apply for all of them that interest you. Each species is only an extra $8 to apply. Oregon also has Premium Hunts you can apply for for deer, elk, and antelope. The Premium Hunts are separate from the controlled hunts. They don’t have a point system, they are any weapon hunts, and they offer extended season dates. There is still not a point system for sheep or goat in Oregon, so everyone has an equal chance to draw. If you’re applying here anyway, you might as well throw your name in the hat. If you’re getting overwhelmed trying to apply for all of the hunts that your heart desires, give us a call. We would love to take care of your applications for you or even just answer your questions so you don’t have to call the state fish and game offices. We are very busy this time of year, but we always make time for our members.